Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Exposure by Iain Bard



Exposure by Iain Bard
Publisher: Carnal Desires Publishing
Genre: Action/Adventure, Contemporary, Historical, Suspense/Mystery
Length: Full Length (176 pgs)
Other: M/F, Voyeurism, Forced Seduction
Rating: 3 cherries
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Exposure tells the story of Dante Addison, a shy academic, and Giulia, a bold, sexy artist and model. Dante falls in love with Giulia when he is a graduate student, after she asks him to pose as the nude model for her photography class. She breaks his heart, and his unrequited love for her changes his life forever.

Twenty years later, Dante, now an English Professor at the same college, sees a woman at an art gallery who reminds him of Giulia, but he doesn’t realize that it is actually his lost love. She agrees to meet him later. He recounts his experience involving sexual exposure from twenty years earlier. By the end of a two-night-long bout of storytelling, Giulia reveals to Dante her identity, but only after he pursues her on foot through the historic district of the city.

Exposure explores a multitude of emotions, ranging from betrayal and heartache to redemption, passion and desire. The author uses the theme of physical and sexual exposure, in all of its various forms, as a vehicle to explore the fascinating psyches of the protagonists.

When does a past experience shape the future? When one can’t let it go.

Such is the story of Exposure.

I wasn’t sure what I was going to get when I cracked this eBook. The title titillates and entices and the story does much of the same. I felt transported back to 1984 during the first meeting and wanted to see the heroine/hero get their happy ending.

It took some time to get used to the large bits of back story, though. Early in the book, there are slower spots where the author lets the reader see into the past lives of Giulia and Dante. While I liked the concept of the back and forth, his view, her view, it took some extra reading and reduced the impact of the tale just a tad. I liked the elusive beginning. It hooked me immediately to find out who this model was and how she linked into Dante’s life.

I liked Dante as well. I had to give it to him—he loved Giulia for a long time and though he wandered, he never gave up on her. That’s sexy. But at the same time, I wasn’t real fond of Giulia. I see why she acted the way she did, but as a reader, I thought she came across selfish and one-dimensional. I liked the idea of her as an artist who is comfortable with her body. Yet she sounded almost vain which turned me off. She grew through the story as a character, but the initial irritation I had with her was hard to get rid of. Her tendency to control was an asset and a liability to me. I liked her forthrightness, but things seemed to go her way just by the echo of her voice and I found that a little hard to take. But she was the perfect match for Dante and showed him his true self, which was sexy.

Desptire those misgivings, the love scenes sizzled. I felt the passion and love in Dante’s actions each time he came onto the page. I wanted to see more emotion and less ambiguity from Giulia and as the story progressed her true feelings did come to the surface, redeeming her in my eyes.

If you want a sexy story where clothes are optional, then you need to read Exposure. I give it 3 cherries.

No comments: