Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Shadow Play by Jeri Duvall

Shadow Play by Jeri Duvall
Publisher: Changeling Press
Genre: Action/Adventure, Historical, Paranormal, Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Length: Short Story (42 pgs)
Other: M/F, Multiple Partners
Rating: 4 cherries
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Demetrius Von Clare has fallen in love. However, his happiness is thwarted when the same villagers he has always protected so fiercely betray him. Near death and with his castle in shambles, an alluring stranger saves him. Queen Marcella, a vampire, offers him immortality in exchange for his eternal devotion and servitude.

Demetrius accepts her offer and becomes Dominick, Marcella's strong and virile prince. But after a disastrous confrontation, Dominick is banished from the court with Marcella's promises to harm any person he falls in love with. Dominick doesn't care, as he believes he'll never find another to love.

But in the bayous of New Orleans, Lillian is dropped on his doorstep, and he finds himself torn between his budding love for her, and keeping her safe from his vengeful former Queen.

Can love transcend time? Can love conquer injustice?

You need to read Shadow Play to find out.

This story grabbed me instantly because I love vampires. Ms. Duvall writes an interesting tale of vampires, greed, and redemption. I liked how I couldn’t put this ebook down once I began.

Demetrius is a tortured soul. He’s allowed the finer things in life and to take what he pleases, unless it’s the woman of his heart. That idea radiated with me because it showed that even tough guys have soft spots and can’t always get the girl by just the snap of his fingers. But his transformation...Wow! In the middle of the story, I wasn’t too fond of him. He seemed to be still very self serving, yet I liked how he grew as a character and improved himself. By the end, I rooted for him to win his heart’s delight.

Lillian and Delilah are interesting heroines in that they give freely to him in order to make him happy. The idea fits fine for the times, although I did like Lillian’s brashness much better. She has a healthy fear in her, but she also knows when to stand up for what’s right.

This is a short story, but I did wish to see more emotion, more passion between Lillian and Demetrius, who by this point is Dominick. I almost felt like there was a lot of telling that they cared, but not as much showing. Still, the love scenes, sizzle and the rest wasn't enough to deter the reader. I enjoyed it very much.

If you want a story that makes you think and squirm, you’ll want to read Shadow Play. I give this ebook 4 cherries.

No comments: