Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dark Court: Dark Side of the Veil by Stormy Glenn

Dark Court: Dark Side of the Veil by Stormy Glenn
Publisher: Noble Romance Publishing
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal, Erotic Romance
Other: M/M, Anal Sex
Length: Short Story (117 pgs)
Rating: 5 cherries
Reviewed by Jasmine

Zack Banning hasn't had an easy time of it recently. After spending more than fifteen years in the Marines, he's discharged due to a head injury received in combat. With no missions to run or people to save, it's all he can do to get out of bed in the mornings. The pills the doctors have him on to keep his injury-induced delusions at bay don't help the situation.

When he discovers a young man being accosted outside of a bar one night he sees it as a chance to feel the satisfaction of saving someone once again. He just doesn't realize until it's over that the young man came to the bar to warn him that someone is out to kill him. What Eljin tells him is a story so outlandish, Zack begins to wonder if he's having one of his delusions. Because if Eljin's story is true, the entire foundation of everything Zack believes just flew out the window.

Fleeing through the countryside with Eljin, Zack tries to understand everything without telling the man he's nuttier than a fruitcake. But the more time Zack spend with Eljin, the more he wants him until he can't think of ever being separated from the little elf.

The only way to save Eljin is to take him back home—through the veil between the two worlds. Arrival on the elf's side of the veil isn't perfect, however. They encounter a war between the elf worlds, the threat of human invasion, and a bias against humans. Zack and Eljin have to keep their wits about them as they try to save their home, their family, and themselves.

Dark Side of the Veil, the first book in the Dark Court series, had me engrossed from page one. Once I began reading Ms. Glenn’s new masterpiece, I couldn’t put the book down and now I’m shamelessly begging for the next book in the series. As a reader, I instantly fell in love with Eljin who is sweet, kindhearted, intelligent, and suppresses somewhat of a temper as we discover a little later in the story when he butts heads with his older brother Conall. You can’t help but want to protect him the same way Zack does. Ms. Glenn has managed to combine several of my favorite components in a book, sexy, military, alpha men, hot man-on-man loving, and the Fae. Really, who doesn’t love a man in uniform or better yet, out of uniform. In addition, I love stories that involve the Seelie and UnSeelie Courts.

Zack is one alpha male who knows how to protect the people he loves and whether or not he initially wants to admit it, he’s in love with Eljin. Although he grew up in an orphanage and admits that he doesn’t know what love looks like, it’s obvious that he knows how to express it when it comes to his friends, who are also Marines, and Eljin. The bantering between old Marine buddies just increased the humor and added more depth to the story because it provides the reader with a peek inside the life of Zack Banning, ex-Marine.

The story is well-written as the words flow smooth across the page like silk. The characters immediately came to life and leapt off the page to hold a special place in my heart. At the rate I’m going, I’ll need a second job to keep up with all of Ms. Glenn’s books because it’s obvious that I need every last one of her books in my collection.

Gunny, Doc, and Rocky are fantastic secondary characters in Dark Side of the Veil and I can’t wait to see what will happen next. Will they find Monte? Will Doc and Rocky embrace the love they have for one another? Will Conall find his soul mate and is his soul mate a human? How are the humans getting through the veil? What role does the UnSeelie play into all of this? While there are other questions that pop into my mind, I’m afraid if I mention them I’d give away too much of the story.

Ms. Glenn, I need the answers to these questions. You’ve kept me in suspense throughout the entire first book and now I need more and it’s an addiction that I’m willing to embrace. Is the next story about Gunny, or Doc and Rocky? More, by Goodness, I need more (as I beg shamelessly). You left me hanging on the edge of the cliff and I almost emailed you to find out where you are in writing the second book in the series. Okay, I’m sorry. I got a little carried away, but as you can see, I need my fix.

If you’re looking for a sexy, action-packed, heartfelt story that entails some scorching hot man-on-man loving and a few explosives thrown in for good measure to keep the bad guys away, then Dark Court: Dark Side of the Veil is the book to read. I will definitely recommend this one to my friends.

1 comment:

Stormy Glenn said...

Thanks for the great review. Thrilled you loved the book. And to answer your question, Monte's Marines, Dark Court 2, was just released. I'm on to writing book three.