Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Widow by Rosemary Ambale



The Widow by Rosemary Ambale
Publisher: Noble Romance Publishing
Genre: Historical, Suspense/Mystery
Length: Short Story (26 pgs)
Other: M/F, M/M, Voyeurism
Rating: 4 cherries
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Set in early 20th century India, when sati, the practice of burning widows on the funeral pyres of their husbands had just been abolished, but widows were still regarded as accursed, this novella explores the passion buried in the heart of one young widow who would not let custom and tradition get in the way of her love.

Her husband is dead and one of her only options is to throw herself on his funeral pyre. So what’s a girl to do when the man across the street catches her fancy? Fire for her husband? Or fire licking her body for sexy reasons?

Read The Widow and find out more.

Ms. Ambale’s story intrigued me from the beginning. Stories set in picturesque settings are frequent, but not so much in India. Once I started this story, I couldn’t put it down. There are plot twists to this tale that kept me firmly in my seat, wanting to see how it all played out.

Abhy is an interesting man. He’s young and unmarried and wants a wife, not a fling. In his time period, wanting a woman who is a widow is unheard of. I liked his vanguard spirit, even if I didn’t totally agree with his methods.

Jay, his friend, is a total mysterious package that I rooted for. There were instances when I expected one thing to happen and the story progressed in a completely opposite way that was great. This story was in no way predictable, which made it memorable for me. My only issue was that I really didn’t get to see things from the widow’s point of view. I would have liked to have know what she thought and how she felt about him in return. Otherwise, this story was great, and held my attention.

If you want a sexy little story, set in a time period not frequently used, then you need to read The Widow. I give this short read 4 cherries.

No comments: