Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Unwrapping Chris by Nancy Lee Badger

Unwrapping Chris by Nancy Lee Badger
Publisher: Whispers Publishing
Genre: Contemporary, Holiday
Length: Short Story (33 pgs)
Other: M/F
Rating: 3 cherries
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Army widow Jayne Rockwell searches for a secure future for her and her two daughters. Staff Sergeant Christopher Hawkins regrets leaving young Jayne eight years ago to go off to war. A crash encounter a week before Christmas thrusts these two lonely people back into each other’s lives once more.

Jayne must learn to trust a man who disappeared with her heart. Chris must overcome the guilt of taking her innocence and then leaving her heartbroken and alone.

A Christmas wedding brings them closer when Jayne spies him as a groomsman in Highland dress, complete with kilt. He cannot keep his eyes off the woman in green velvet wearing a wedding ring. Accusations, explanations, and remorse leads to a love that erupts among candlelight, Christmas carols, and a dark room. Who needs mistletoe?

A second chance at a first love? All while surrounded by the glitz and glamour of Christmas? In this book, it’s completely possible.

This is my first chance to read a story by Nancy Lee Badger and I’m glad I did. This story has an interesting plot that drew me in from the moment I read the blurb. I love a story with military hunks and this one is chock full of them.

The plot moves at warp speed. There’s a lot going on in this little tale, but it works. Jayne’s a wounded heroine. She’s been through a wringer and yet she’s still going. Chris...where do I begin with him? He’s handsome and who I’d place Jayne with. Great pairing.

What took away from the story for me was a couple things. The pacing is really fast. We fly from one scene to the next, and the whirlwind fashion of the pairing of Jayne and Chris was almost a little hard to fathom. I’m a sucker for love at first sight, but I had a hard time buying into the swiftness of the courtship. The scene at the wedding was hot, but I had to go back three times to make sure I knew what was going on. Another thing that was a little tough to get past was Chris. I understood why he acted as he did, but I didn’t feel like I really got to know him. He’s a total hunk, I wanted more about him.

Still, this is a sweet little holiday read that’s sure to warm your heart and warm your libido. If you’re looking for such a story, then you need to grab a copy of Unwrapping Chris. 3 cherries.

1 comment:

Mickey said...

I do believe in love at first sight having experienced it many years ago. Can't wait to read your full story.